This time of year is known as the season of giving. The Preston & Steve Show embodies the season through its Camp Out for Hunger food drive, an initiative that Comcast employees look forward to contributing to year after year. As long-time partners of 93.3 WMMR, one of Philadelphia’s top radio stations, and Philabundance, one of the largest hunger-relief organizations in the Delaware Valley, participating in Camp Out for Hunger and supporting our local community is a natural fit.
For the past 10 years, Comcast’s involvement has grown and evolved, but the goal always remains the same: To do the most good. One way we achieve this goal is by offering many ways for employees and members of the community to donate. This year’s campaign featured the following elements:
- We kicked off our collection with WMMR’s Pierre Robert broadcasting live from the Concourse of the Comcast Center.
- Employees from across our Freedom Region and Corporate Headquarters supported the drive with virtual contributions to Philabundance through Comcast NBCUniversal’s Matching Gift Program.
- Canned goods were collected at our local field and office locations – and during special internal events and meetings.
- Donation bins were available at our Xfinity Stores enabling customers to make physical donations. We were thrilled to partner with WMMR once again to include QR codes on our in-store donation bins allowing members of the community to make monetary donations to Philabundance in lieu of canned goods.
- For the second year, Comcast employees volunteered to help unload donations at Camp Out for Hunger as part of Team UP – our year-long volunteerism program.
Rolling up the morning of our drop-off is always the highlight. It’s amazing to see the lineup of Xfinity trucks filled with donations, and our teammates who show up to support the cause every year.
This year, donations from employees and regional operations teams, combined with a special gift of $50,000 from our Corporate Community Impact team brought, our total donation to more than 293,000 pounds!
Freedom Region’s Jay Drummond, Vice President of Technical Operations, and Jennifer Bilotta, Vice President of Communications, joined Preston & Steve for a live, on-air interview on the final day of Camp Out for Hunger to announce our donation total!
This contribution would not be possible with our employees and customers. We are thankful this holiday season, and year-round, for them.