For the past 25 years, the Preston & Steve Show on 93.3 WMMR has hosted their Camp Out for Hunger food drive, which has become the largest, single-location food drive in the country. All the food collected benefits Philabundance, one of the largest hunger relief organizations in the Delaware Valley and a Comcast philanthropic partner. Camp Out for Hunger is a great example of what can be accomplished when we come together as a community around a common goal.
Comcast has been proud to participate in Camp Out for Hunger for the past nine years. To do the most good, we hosted a multifaceted collection this year with some exciting new elements including:
- Employees from across our Freedom Region and Corporate Headquarters supported Camp Out for Hunger with virtual contributions to Philabundance through the Comcast NBCUniversal matching gift program, allowing employees to double their impact.
- Canned goods were collected at our local field and office locations.
- Donation bins were available at our Xfinity Retail Stores enabling customers to make physical or virtual donations in store.
- Technicians were provided with tote bags and information about Camp Out for Hunger to collect canned goods from customers who chose to donate.
- Employees volunteered to help unload donations at the Camp Out as part of Comcast’s Team Up volunteer program – an always-on, 365-days-a-year effort that provides opportunities for Comcast employees to further their involvement in local communities.
The highlight of our Camp Out for Hunger campaign is always the moment we roll up to Xfinity Live! with a caravan of Xfinity trucks. This year, our donations from employees, combined with a special gift of $50,000 from our Corporate Community Impact team and additional monetary donations from our regional Marketing, Comcast Business and regional Community Impact teams brought our total donation to more than 322,600 pounds!
Freedom Region’s Gabriel Torres, vice president of marketing, and Jennifer Bilotta, vice president of communications, joined Preston & Steve for a live, on-air interview to announce our donation total.
With the holiday season approaching, it’s a critical time to help our neighbors in need. We would like to give a big shout out to all of our employees and customers who contributed to our collection this year. We can’t wait to see what we can do in 2023!